How to Get a Thai Tourist Visa in Hong Kong

Last Updated on

April 2018 Update: After 3 consecutive in-and-out border runs in Thailand, I went to the Hong Kong Thai Consulate to apply for a proper 60 day Tourist Visa – and was interrogated heavily. I was asked what I was doing in Thailand for so long (I work online), and was asked to show a bank statement, or they would not process my visa application. It seems Thai immigration is getting tougher these days for those of us doing non-stop tourist visas. However, for those of you applying for your first or second Tourist Visa, your Non-B (work visa) or Non-O (marriage or retirement visa), you should still have no problem applying in Hong Kong and I continue to recommend it.

May 2019 Update: I am in need of some updated accounts from readers about their success (or lack of success!) getting their visas. Please comment below with your nationality and how your overall experience was. Thanks!

If you are in Hong Kong ahead of traveling to Thailand, or you’re a long-term expat looking for an alternative visa run location, I highly recommend applying for your 60 day tourist visa in Hong Kong. I have done the Penang, Kuala Lumpur, and Vientiane visa runs several times and the Hong Kong Consulate is by far the quickest, most convenient, and least crowded location of them all. Although the flight may be slightly more expensive, if you have exhausted the prior three locations, make a mini vacation out of it and head to Hong Kong!

The Thai Consulate in Hong Kong is located at the Fairmont House on Hong Kong Island. They are open weekdays from 9:30am – 12:30pm and the current tourist visa fee is 300 HK dollars. Before deciding on this consulate, be 100% sure that they are not closed due to a Thai or Hong Kong public holiday and check the consulate’s holidays for 2019.

Documents Required for 60-Day Thai Tourist Visa

  • 1.5 x 2 inch passport photo
  • 1 totally completed visa application form (available in the lobby of the consulate)
  • 1 copy of your passport (black and white is fine), signed at the bottom of the page in BLUE ink
  • 1 copy of your Hong Kong entry slip from airport immigration (you’ll get this when entering Hong Kong at the airport), signed at the bottom in BLUE ink. (I don’t know why but ALL official docs in Thailand / Thai embassies are super anal about this. Bring a blue pen!)
  • Depending on the officer you get (or your country of citizenship), a copy of your flight itinerary in/out of Thailand may be requested, as well as a copy of your hotel accommodation for your first port of call, and even your most recent bank statement. Although these documents are normally only requested for visa runners (like myself!), I doubt you will be asked to show these documents, though it of course would not hurt to have them on hand, just in case.

Need to book a room for Hong Kong? I highly recommend Pacific Guesthouse or Good Fortune Inn. Both hotels are among the cheapest and highest-rated in all of Hong Kong, and also just across the bay from the Thai Consulate.

To start with, you’ll need to take the MTR to the Admiralty station on Hong Kong island.

Take Exit B. It is the absolute closest exit regardless of what any subway attendant might tell you. Walk up the stairs and immediately turn left. In a few meters you’ll see as in the photo above these steps which lead to the main entrance of the Lippo Centre Shopping Mall. Go to the far right entrance and walk through the doors.

You’ll immediately see this escalator straight ahead and the copy shop on your right. The copy shop is super convenient if you still need to make copies of your passport or other supporting documents for your visa. If not, proceed straight up the escalator and immediately turn to your right.

You will see a 7-11 (have received news from readers that this is closed now) glass double doors and a Pacific Coffee shop directly ahead of you. Walk through the doors and follow the footpath until you see this coffee/gelato shop (this is now a Circle K mini-mart) and turn left.

Thai Tourist Visa Hong Kong

Cross this walking bridge and turn left at the end to reach the Fairmont House.

Walk inside and you will see the main directory of the building. The Thai Consulate is on Floor 8F. The elevator you’ll need to take is on the left side.

Once inside, visit the receptionist and take a number on the inside of the main room on your left.

I arrived at about 10:30 on a Thursday morning. There was only 1 other person applying for a tourist visa and I was called up within 3 minutes! After paying, I was given my receipt and all was done. I spent an entire 5 minutes at the consulate. The next day, Friday, was no different. I was in and out in less than 5 minutes. For those who have done visa runs elsewhere, I’m sure you can relate to my utter disbelief!

To conclude, if you want a totally painless Thai tourist visa, Hong Kong is the place to rest easy!

ONE LAST REMINDER!! Before deciding on this consulate, be 100% sure that they are not closed due to a Thai or Hong Kong public holiday and check the consulate’s holidays for 2019.

VD’s Hotel Recommendations for Hong Kong

Trouble viewing on mobile? Turn your phone to the side 😉

Pacific Guesthouse

Good Fortune Inn

VD’s Hostel Recommendations for Hong Kong

Trouble viewing on mobile? Turn your phone to the side 😉

Rainbow Lodge HK

Hop Inn on Mody

A post shared by Hop Inn (@hopinnhk) on

Hoho Hostel

A post shared by Hoho Hostel, HK (@hohohostel) on

Check Inn

A post shared by Alinstamx (@alinstamx) on

Check out all other hotels in Hong Kong here.

Heading to Thailand right after you get your visa? Check out all my articles about the Land of Smiles for some great tips and recommendations 🙂

Exploring Southeast Asia beyond Thailand? Check out fellow travel blogger A Mary Road and her incredibly extensive guide to Southeast Asia!

taipeiCraig is a 29 year-old, sun-loving, rum-drinking Floridian and Phuketan, and the face behind Vagabond Disposition. He has called the Land of Smiles his home for about 5 years on and off, coming and going between vagabonding journeys throughout East and Southeast Asia, as well as Western Mexico and Europe. He enjoys a competitive game of disc golf when he can find a course, as well as a laid-back match of Bocce with spirits in hand. Craig wouldn’t go anywhere without his beloved ukulele and will jump on a drum set any chance he gets. His odd sense of humor is fortunately often appreciated by his peers, as well as his students.

I religiously use my Chase Sapphire Preferred Card when traveling and I 100% endorse it for those who want to get into the frequent-flier-miles-game. You can get 60,000 miles after using the card for 3 months and spending $4000 on it. That’s enough miles for 1-2 round trip tickets in the US or a 1 way international ticket. I recently used only 40,000 miles to fly 1 way from Orlando – Frankfurt – Bangkok – Phuket, and only paid airport fees! There’s also no foreign transaction fees whatsoever so you can use it anywhere abroad. ($95 fee per year, though that can be paid using 9,500 points!). Check out more about the card here.

On Pinterest? Check me out below! I’d greatly appreciate a re-pin 🙂


  1. Hi – May I ask if you need to have a photocopy of the passport page of the last HK visit with the stamp?

    I saw it in the consulate website and since I will be heading straight to the consulate to catch before the 12.30 closing time, I am worried about looking for the photocopy service to do the last page

    Do they have such service at the consulate office? Or is it really required in the first place?

    This is the exact wording from the website

    2. A copy of main pages of a passport including the last arrival Hong Kong stamp.

    • Hey Victor, I definitely did not provide a copy of my last HK arrival stamp. Perhaps the requirements have changed since I last went though I believe you will be fine. Please comment again with what happens as I would like to know myself!

  2. Hi Craig !
    Very interesting informations, thanks !
    Did you provide them a copy of a confirmed air ticket to leave Thailand?
    Because as a long-term expat in Thailand, I could not provide them this.

  3. Hi Will! I did not provide this for them in the past though I am aware they are becoming much more strict! However, if you have a Non-B or Non-O visa (not a tourist visa), then they should not ask you for that.

  4. Hello, I’m holding British (Overseas) passport and shared the similar records that had several land visa-runs and until the latest flight back to Bangkok from Yangon, the immigration staff asked me what am I doing in Thailand and interogated me a bit before chopping another 30-day visa free stamp.

    In such case, I have bought air ticket to HK by early July and will apply for a METV with 6-month validaity, will I be successful? or better I should rather apply for a 60-day tourist visa? Another question is that the listed requirements are to show the go-and-return tickets to/from Thailand, is it necessary? Please let me know, many thanks!

    • Hello Johan, in my opinion, if you were interrogated upon your last entry into Thailand, I would highly recommend having as many supporting documents as possible when going to the Hong Kong consulate in July. You should be able to do the METV, but definitely have your itinerary of departing/returning flights to/from Thailand. I was also asked to show my latest bank statement to show evidence of sufficient funds, so I also definitely recommend you bring that with you as well. The more documentation, the better!

  5. Hi, me and my partner are going traveling in September and arrive in Bangkok 10th September I have been told it is the wet season around this time so we was going to spend 3 nights in Bangkok then fly over to Vietnam for 2-3 weeks then to Hong Kong for around 3-4 nights and back to Thailand for around 45 days leaving mid November!

    Your article is great and just wanted to ask what exactly do you need when going to get the Thai visa? also, would you recommend doing the above and leaving Thailand while the wet season settles down or just take a gamble?

    Thanks in advance for your help

    • Hey James! Good to hear from you, and sorry for my slow response – I did not receive any notification through my website from your comment! Always fixing something here, haha…

      To apply for the standard 60 day tourist visa, you’ll simply need 1. 1.5 x 2 inch passport photo 2. Copy of your passport, signed at the bottom of the page in BLUE ink 3. Copy of your HK entry slip from immigration (you’ll get this when entering Hong Kong at the airport), signed at the bottom in BLUE ink. (I don’t know why but ALL official docs in Thailand / Thai embassies are super anal about this. Bring a blue pen!) Depending on the officer you get, a copy of your flight itinerary in/out of Thailand may be requested, as well as hotel accommodation for your first port of call. Although this kind of info is normally only requested for visa runners (like myself!), I doubt you will be asked to show these documents, though it of course would not hurt to have them on hand, just in case.

      Your trip sounds awesome! However, the rainy season lasts from June-December, with the end months of October & November usually seeing the most rain – sometimes floods! I have spent 4 out of the last 5 rainy seasons in Thailand and October was always the heaviest for rain. Not to rain on your parade, so to speak, but it will be unlikely that you will avoid the rain completely! With that being said, you should make your plans regardless of the rain, and do what is most convenient/cost effective for your trip. The upside to this is that you should get MUCH cheaper flights/accommodation during this time! Best of luck and feel free to comment here should you have any more questions!

  6. Hello,
    Your update says you were interrogated heavily. My question is, did you get the visa after all? Or did they deny you after asking all these questions.


    • Hi Michelle, they asked me for my most recent bank statement and as I only had 2 days in Hong Kong to do this (which is normally all you need), I did not have enough time and I actually ended up not getting it unfortunately. I simply re-entered Thailand later on with a Non B Ed Visa that I got from the embassy in Kuala Lumpur. If this will be your first or second Tourist Visa, you should be fine to apply in Hong Kong.

  7. Hi, thanks for very usefull info! Mainly because it s all gootpath to reach that place.
    As addition i d say that you can make pictures and photocopie at paul s ballet shop inside admirilty center (exit A), then get back in mtr to get to exit B and follow instruction.
    7-11 doesn t exist at location no more so look for pacific coffee instead. Then the coffee shop gelato is now a circle k.

  8. Quick Question – I am an American traveling with a friend who is a Honduran national. We would like to go to Bangkok for a long weekend from Hong Kong, BUT I hate to buy tickets if we are not sure he will get a Thai visa. The Thai Consulate in Hong Kong SAYS you have to have a Hong Kong/Macau Resident Card to apply. Is that true?

    • Hi Megan, thanks for your question. That is definitely not true for a Tourist Visa! Perhaps for longer stay/work visas they may have changed the requirement, but as far as I know, the consulate will grant Tourist Visas to other nationalities. Also, as a US citizen, you do NOT need to apply for a Tourist Visa in advance. You will be stamped for 30 days free at the airport in Thailand upon arrival. However, your Honduran friend will need to apply for a Tourist Visa in advance.

  9. Hey I am Jamaican student studying in China, do you think they’ll ask for a proof of study there? The weird thing is it’s really difficult just to get my uni to mail me something when i am not over there. I’m going to try and apply in February.

    • Hi Michael, proof of study isn’t a listed requirement for a Tourist Visa so you definitely should not be asked for it. However, please do comment again here if they do ask for it or any additional paperwork so I can update the article accordingly! Best of luck!

  10. Hi! How long do you think the Hong Kong embassy will take to issue my Thai visa? Just so I know how many days to stay in Hong Kong for.

    • Hi Mesh! If you apply in the morning on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday, you can pick up your visa the next day. However, if you apply on Friday morning, you have to wait until Monday to pick up your visa, as the consulate is closed on Saturday and Sunday. Also, be sure to check the list of official Thai and Hong Kong holidays for 2019 here: If you apply the day before a holiday, you will have to wait until the following weekday to pick up your visa.

    • Hi Ozan, to be honest, I am just not sure. After scanning the official Royal Thai Consulate website (which is overall not very helpful and hasn’t been updated since September of last year!), it seems that they do grant Non-O visas for retirement, however for a Non-O marriage visa, it is just not clear. I looked through these 2 links for Requirements of Non-O Visa, and it does state further down the page about requirements for a marriage visa: “In the case where the accompanying spouse is not eligible to apply for the Category ‘O-A’ (Long Stay) visa, he or she will be considered for temporary stay under Category ‘O’ visa. A marriage certificate must be provided as evidence and should be notarised by notary organs or by the applicant’s diplomatic or consular mission.” This is under #2, Required Documents, very last bullet point: So, it does seem that you can possibly apply for this. Do make sure you have ALL required documents ahead of time, though!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.