How to Get a Thai Tourist Visa in Hong Kong

Note: The period for obtaining a free 60-day tourist visa for Thailand ended on February 28th, 2017. As of March 1st, 2017, fees for 60-day tourist visas for Thailand are in effect at all Thai embassies and consulates worldwide.

If you are in Hong Kong ahead of traveling to Thailand, or you’re a long-term expat looking for an alternative visa run location, I highly recommend applying for your 60 day tourist visa in Hong Kong. I have done the Penang, Kuala Lumpur, and Vientiane visa runs several times and the Hong Kong Consulate is by far the quickest, most convenient, and least crowded location of them all. Although the flight may be slightly more expensive, if you have exhausted the prior three locations, make a mini vacation out of it and head to Hong Kong!

The Thai Consulate in Hong Kong is located at the Fairmont House on Hong Kong Island. They are open weekdays from 9:30am – 12:30pm and the current tourist visa fee is 300 HK dollars. Before deciding on this consulate, be 100% sure that they are not closed due to a Thai or Hong Kong public holiday. You can check the consulate’s holidays for 2018 here.

To start with, you’ll need to take the MTR to the Admiralty station on Hong Kong island.

Take Exit B. It is the absolute closest exit regardless of what any subway attendant might tell you. Walk up the stairs and immediately turn right. Walk around the corner and you’ll see the sign in the right picture. Walk down that sidewalk to the next street and turn right.

In a few meters you’ll see these small steps and eventually a staircase beyond them. Walk to the upper level and turn right. You will see the entrance to the Lippo Centre Shopping Mall shown above. Walk to the far left side and take the exit to the right.

Walk until you see this coffee/gelato shop and turn left. Cross this walking bridge and turn left at the end to reach the Fairmont House.

Walk inside and you will see the main directory of the building. The Thai Consulate is on Floor 8F. The elevator you’ll need to take is on the left side.

Once inside, visit the receptionist and take a number on the inside of the main room on your left.

I arrived at about 10:30 on a Thursday morning. There was only 1 other person applying for a tourist visa and I was called up within 3 minutes! After paying, I was given my receipt and all was done. I spent an entire 5 minutes at the consulate. The next day, Friday, was no different. I was in and out in less than 5 minutes. For those who have done visa runs elsewhere, I’m sure you can relate to my utter disbelief!

To conclude, if you want a totally painless Thai tourist visa, Hong Kong is the place to rest easy!


VD’s Hostel Recommendations for Hong Kong

Trouble viewing on mobile? Turn your phone to the side 😉

Rainbow Lodge HK

Hop Inn on Mody

A post shared by Hop Inn (@hopinnhk) on

Hoho Hostel

A post shared by Hoho Hostel, HK (@hohohostel) on

Check Inn

A post shared by Alinstamx (@alinstamx) on

If you’d rather book a normal hotel room, you can check out hotels here.

Heading to Thailand right after you get your visa? Check out all my articles about the Land of Smiles for some great tips and recommendations 🙂

Exploring Southeast Asia beyond Thailand? Check out fellow travel blogger A Mary Road and her incredibly extensive guide to Southeast Asia!

On Pinterest? Check me out below! I’d greatly appreciate a re-pin 🙂


  1. Hi – May I ask if you need to have a photocopy of the passport page of the last HK visit with the stamp?

    I saw it in the consulate website and since I will be heading straight to the consulate to catch before the 12.30 closing time, I am worried about looking for the photocopy service to do the last page

    Do they have such service at the consulate office? Or is it really required in the first place?

    This is the exact wording from the website

    2. A copy of main pages of a passport including the last arrival Hong Kong stamp.

    • Hey Victor, I definitely did not provide a copy of my last HK arrival stamp. Perhaps the requirements have changed since I last went though I believe you will be fine. Please comment again with what happens as I would like to know myself!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *